Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Here I Go!


I'm supposed to be working.

In fact, because I write for a living, I tend to feel a touch guilty whenever I'm typing words that don't have to do with an assignment. Even my emails are sparse. I always wonder what people think of my choppy, straight-to-the-point messages. (Uh, and she calls herself a writer?!). I usually save my eloquence for my editors. Until now. Because today I will start my very own blog. One that does not focus on my wedding (the impetus for my original blog, started way back in 2005!) or my children (a spinoff of the original, hatched in 2008). Although surely my little darlings will make plenty of appearances, because, well, why not? They're cute.

In short, this will be the receptacle for my thoughts on all things to do with running, endurance sports, and motherhood. Yes, I am attempting to become a running mommy blogger.

I had no idea this niche even existed until a couple of months ago, when I happened upon the online home of rockstar writers Sarah Bowen Shea and Dimity McDowell, the authors of Another Mother Runner. They have like a zillion followers, run marathons all the time, and are way more accomplished than I ever imagine being, but hey, one can dream. From there, I happened upon a slew of other similarly-themed blogs and was completely inspired to do something like that for myself. So, thanks for the kick in the butt, ladies! 

Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. From here on out, I hope to entertain, inform, and enlighten those of you out there who want to read my thoughts on being a runner, a writer, and a mom—and whatever other random thoughts that cross my mind. And in return, I have one small favor: I want you to keep me on task, to inspire me to go after my goals (and not continue to put them off because I'm “too busy” or "too tired" as has been the case pretty much my whole life), and to join me in an ongoing conversation about this crazy life we're all leading. 

Oh, and if you're wondering about the title of this blog? It's a little tribute to my little ones, E (almost 4) and NC (1.5)  who have both at some point shouted those words to me from their perch in our trusty BOB jogging stroller when they want their chance to run. "I go, mommy, I go!" It's this simple phrase that reminds me of the relentless drive and motivation that we're all born with...and gives me the hope that I'll be able to recapture that endless amount of energy...one of these days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment